Who Are We?
Avato’s Hybrid Integration Platform is relied on by complex financial institutions and health organizations who need to thrive in complex, highly-regulated environments. We are a seasoned organization with a new business model, a new brand and a technology platform with capabilities and benefits unavailable from others in the market. .
The Avato culture is smart, fun and frankly, quite open. If there is an issue, we discuss it until it’s resolved. There is full freedom to call it as we see it. Technically, we are known as thought leaders in a space haunted by large, cranky, ineffective software providers who are all brand and no results.
This is a ground floor opportunity; you’ll join our team as one of the first 10 Avato’s while the company grows from its first commercial deployments to scale-up giant killer. You will work directly with our Chief Architect and CEO and will participate in mentoring and being mentored in the development of successful mission critical projects for high-profile government, healthcare and banking customers.
We are seeking a seasoned Senior Java EE developer, recognized as “1 in 10” with the ability to work effectively from their own environment, usually remotely but occasionally with the team in our office in Vancouver or Victoria.
As part of this role, you will be expected to:
- Write raw Java code, using JEE standards, including Servlets, Session Beans, JDBC, Sockets ,Threads, networking etc.
- Deploy and maintain configurations for JBoss EAP and / or WildFly
- Write and maintain SQL code for MySQL and SQL Server
- Implement JSP pages as part of the HTML5 user interface
- Develop XSLT transforms and services that leverage or utilize XML, XSLT, JSON and other technologies to implement or consume services
- Collaborate with customers and product management to devise an implementation strategy that addresses project requirements
- Design, document, implement and deploy Java, Java EE and SQL code, databases and applications
- Unit test and integration test all functionality developed or affected by the implementation
- Maintain corporate repositories of all source code, architecture artifacts and procedures, and CI/CD pipelines
If you have the following, we’ll be especially interested to talk with you:
- Familiarity with containerization, including Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, Terraform, AKS, AWS and Azure Dev/Ops workflows;
- A love for HTML5, including making web applications appear native on mobile platforms;
- XML, XML Schema (XSD), XML Stylesheets (XSLT 3.0), XPath, XQuery and other related W3C recommendations;
- RESTful interfaces, including experience with JSON Schema, OpenAPI, Swagger or equivalents JWT, JWS and JWE;
- UML Modeling, especially using Sparx Enterprise Architect;
- Knowledge of the financial sector IT landscape;
What we are proud to offer:
- Compassion for each individual to find a balance between their professional and personal lives;
- Flexible work hours that allow you to maximize personal time;
- Compensation package commensurate with your level of experience;
- Employee Stock Option Plan;
- Competitive benefits package;
- Holidays start at 3 weeks plus “put out fires only” mode from start of Christmas week to end of New Years’ week;
- $1000 budget to get yourself set up at home to work efficiently (not including laptop);
- Approved professional development costs covered by the company
- Health and Fitness bursary: up $50/ month to be used for that spin class or gym membership
We are an equal opportunity employer, dedicated and committed to recruiting and selecting applicants on the basis of their qualifications. We strive to increase our diversity and encourage applications from all candidates that meet any of our requirements. We are focused on equality and believe that increasing diversity of thought and lived experience makes us stronger together.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Applicants can make their accommodation needs known to us in their application. Please note: all applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
To apply for this position, please got to this link.